Sunday, April 01, 2012

Things I got to see at the Emerald City Comicon

I spent Saturday at the Emerald City Comicon... Less pungent than the big ol' San Diego melee, yet still a visual cacophony of the sublime and bizarre. From Jewish He-Man to Stormtrooper Beaker the sights are frequent and staining on the eye. A plethora of ladies in spandex was appreciated by all. Guys in Boba Fett masks unaware at how very droll they have become. The genre of fans known only as the Bronies were out with eczema but without abandon- inspiring a new, trademarkable phrase:
 This guy (below) did go against type by wearing a Mighty Mouse T-Shirt when in his heart he wanted to wear an Clover Bloom (thanks, Wikipedia) blazer. A Brony being contemplative can be a disconcerting thing. 
Of  course the classic 'guy in a sweltering suit made of faux-fur of some sort' was well represented.
Admittedly this Ramphy character (below) had a cool mouth function that allowed it to open and close, thus giving the full impression of chewing one's cud.
Had I more funds available to me, surely I would have partaken in the joys of bootlegged merchandise. Mind you, where the heck else are you going to buy 'Song of the South'? or the rare TV pilot of 'Vision and the Scarlet Witch' starring Sonny and Cher?
My biggest disappointment was, and I'm certain I'm not alone, the glaring absence of Ziggy merchandise available. 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice sketches - do these while taking breaks?

I was there Saturday and did not see you. Actually I did but I didn't say hi. Actually I didn't see you, but wish I had.

I counted 4 Boba Fett dudes.

Anonymous said...

It's funny because, correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you one of the storyboard artists for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic?

Unknown said...

You are correct, Anonymous, I did work briefly on season one of said show. I only storyboarded half an episode, the one with the hydra it was. Please explain how it is funny though...

Anonymous said...

I did not know your time on the show was limited to just the hydra scene, it makes more sense to me now and I am also sorry because in hindsight I really did not know what was funny.
I am sorry if you may have accidentally taken offense.

I wish you luck in your future work, and if it means anything, I like the work you have done too, especially on the Eds.

Unknown said...

Hey Anonymous, I took no offence at all, no apologies necessary whatsoever. I was just curious which aspect was funny...perhaps the idea of me being a Brony. That is kind of funny actually. Though as a kid I much preferred the Care Bears to the Ponies in every regard. We'll just have to see what the new Care Bears in all of their CG ugliness can bring to the table.
And thank you for the compliment! It does indeed mean a lot that you have enjoyed my work. I hope I can do more work that you will also like...I'm working on it.